Dependent Visa to Canada

Canada is one of the most ideal countries to settle down with your family. Canada as a nation also encourages and believes in the reunification of the family. Therefore, Canada has its own Family Class Immigration program through which a Canadian citizen or permanent resident can sponsor their spouse/common-law partner/conjugal partner, dependent children, parents and grandparents to Canada. This program makes a dependent visa to Canada as easier as ever compared to dependent visas from Australia or New Zealand.

Eligibility of the Sponsor

A sponsor to a dependent should fulfill some set criteria before they can be approved by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or IRCC.

  • They should be at least or above the age of 18 to sponsor.
  • The sponsor should be able to prove their relationship to the dependent spouse, child, parent, and grandparent.
  • The sponsor should have in his possession enough resources to take care of their dependents for a certain amount of time.
  • The sponsor should also be able to prove that they are not getting any kind of social assistance.

Who are the Dependents?

Canada allows a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to be a sponsor as long as they fulfill the following conditions.
A spouse/common-law partner/ conjugal partner who is not financially independent or dependent on the sponsor is eligible for the spousal sponsorship program of family class immigration. Similarly, a child who may be the biological or adopted child of the sponsor can be sponsored to attain permanent residence. It is also possible to sponsor one’s own ailing parents or grandparent or a relative who is orphaned through the family class immigration program. However, for all these immigration processes the sponsor must be financially affluent to take care of the dependents financially until they are really settled in.

You can consult Royal Study Services for further inquiries and for any kind of practical help with dependent visas to Canada.